Trapeze School


I am in a community theatre show called Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn and this is the last weekend. This is the first time in 3 years that I don't know what comes next. It feels wierd and sad to not have a show to do.
The good thing about taking a break is having time to do some things I've always wanted. This week I went to a place called Trapeze School New York www.trapezeschool.com. They have a school in Baltimore at the Inner Harbor. It was so cool.
I learned a knee hang where you basically swing hanging from your knees with your back arched and hands out so the catcher can catch you. An instructor got on the other trapeze at the end and I made 3 catches in a row, where I let go of the trapeze with my knees and he catches me around the wrists in mid air.
I also learned the whip, where you hang upside down by your hands, under the trapeze bar. Your body is in a pike position with your head pointing to the ground and your butt against the bar. You get into these positions while swinging about 30 feet off the ground. I think it's
called the whip because to make a catch you have to let go at just the right second and whip around out of the pike to catch the other person's hands. I did not try that yet but hope I can next class.
I went at night so my mom did not get very good pictures but I have 2 more classes so I will try to post better ones later. These are 2 pictures of me just starting out and 2 pictures of me just getting into knee hang position. By the time you swing back out to the center you have to be hanging from your knees with arched back and hands out to make the catch.
I really want to play Young Tarzan on Broadway! (Or Flounder in the new Little Mermaid they are casting on Broadway)
Let me know if anyone know of any boy roles!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home